Valuing the Journey

 

Valuing the Journey


Yes, I still do value the journey. so long as it doesn’t involve an airline. From start to finish – what is pleasurable about an airplane trip? Planning a simple flight from one city to another takes the expertise of a retired airline employee. And even with his skill, and preliminary work, the process takes over an hour. No direct flight from San Jose to Milwaukee, no first class available on the one airline that works. I will gird my loins for battle.

In preparation, we have the cursed compression socks. My son insists that I wear them. Not concerned that I’ll actually die from a clot, no, his concern is that I WON’T die but wind up being somewhat of a bother as an invalid. All because I wasn’t wearing the socks. Speaking of strokes, just getting the socks on could cause one. Wow! Those of us of a certain age and a certain weight can hardly see our feet much less work the socks on – add feet in a gnarled condition into the mix and throw in heat and humidity and you’re facing quite a job.

Okay, all packed and socks on, we’re off to the airport an hour and a half before boarding. It’s not enough to face four hours of being strapped into an uncomfortable seat with no place to move – I guess we need practice being bored out of our heads before boarding, thus the hour of waiting.

We’re on the plane, luggage in the over head, seat belt fastened……….and then we wait and wait and wait for take-off. Cabin getting warm, passengers getting restless and the wonder of flying hasn’t even begun. Miraculously, it’s only been a half hour of circling. Yay! We’re speeding up and whoosh we’re finally in the air!

Am I wrong, but it seems as if it’s gotten noisier on planes. Even though my hearing is worse. Anyway no chance of any chat with the seat mate, and we’ve heard the safety instructions, and I plan to take a little nap. Just starting to doze – oh no, a siren like alarm lets us know that an important message is coming. Huh?! An extremely loud, undecipherable, garbled message follows, can’t understand a word and pray that it isn’t instructions on how to survive the pending crash.

The boredom is relieved when the coveted pretzels are being distributed and gobbled up. A drink would be lovely, however I don’t want to risk having to use the “restroom”. We finally safely land and the fight to retrieve the overhead luggage begins, while dodging enormous weapon like backpacks, swinging wildly with no thought of whose faces they might slam into.

On the ground, my son waits, pleased to see the compression socks are on and my 10 day high begins. I’m always so grateful to be home and grateful that home is in California that my disposition is sunny for over a week. Time to plan another trip – class reunion? How many could there be left to show up? Go ahead take a guess on how many people are able to attend the 73rd high school reunion. There will be a prize to whomever comes closest.


On the sports front – the Warriors screwed up waiting for Lebron!









Comments

Popular Posts