Blowing My Cover

 

Blowing My Cover


My cover being hip, aware, and not easily fooled. Yeah, right! Sometimes not. What prompted this was the news of Daejon Love’s successfully scamming a lot of women out of at least $1.3M. These are the kind of guys who, if pursuing legitimate employment, could be CEOs of Fortune 500 companies. Their EQ (emotional intelligence) is off the charts – they are talented in reading people, and recognizing a need and filling it.

In Mr. Love’s case he found women who were football fans, so he posed as a San Francisco 49er. And…… promised them the moon, after getting a little money for the down payment.

My minor league attempted scam happened many years ago. Refer back to “The Dating Game” post and “The Entrepreneur”. No 49er impersonator here. I’ve never been a football fan and even in my teens had no interest in football players. I liked smart, funny guys.

Anyway, the entrepreneur zeroed in on my need and gave the illusion of filling it. I was starting the process of getting my house ready for sale. He came with a modest talent for home repair and a tool kit. And………...being a real estate broker, he saw the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow or at least a sizable amount of money at close of escrow.

Not to go into the details of this hackneyed story, I was saved from being scammed and this is why. I can be very generous with my time and my sympathy, but my money is another thing. I grew up in the mid-west. Mid westerners are famous for being careful with money, careful being a nicer word for cheap!

Add to the mix, my German heritage. Germans are know to be industrious and thrifty. The industrious quality was quite appealing the entrepreneur – the thrifty part, not so much. When it became apparent that the proceeds from the sale would be invested and not in a yacht, the entrepreneur was off to another opportunity.

But, he did manage to get a small amount of money, for which I filed a judgment, not with any hope of getting the money back, but as a warning to future victims. Unfortunately, the next woman didn’t heed the warning. She sold her house and wound up in a mobile home with no spare cash and no boyfriend. The entrepreneur was off to a new opportunity.

So, Mr. Love made a lot of money scamming women ,which is despicable, but more disgusting is the reaction of some of the 49ers. These dudes found this to be hilarious. I ask what in god’s name is funny about a woman being robbed?! Perhaps my teen aged girl’s taste in guys was pretty sound.



Two great women gone. Dolly Parton and Gloria Steinem were world’s apart in so many ways, however, together they shared the terrific quality of humanity.

Comments

Popular Posts