The Normandy Wash
The Normandy Wash
The reservations are made and we’re off to the long sought after dinner in the wine country. The 90 mile trip took less time than the 2 month daily calls to get rezzies. My brother is in the bay area visiting from Key West where he owns an upscale (my description) restaurant. Actually it is a place with stylish ambiance and very good food. My brother knows his eats!
Oppressive heat in Santa Clara means unbearable heat in the Napa Valley – no ocean breezes there. I could only get outdoor seating and the men were required to wear coats. Ye gods! What happened to the kind of hospitality that meant the customer might be comfortable? The trek over, we were greeted by 100 degree heat and no signage which irritated my brother who, I’m sure spent some bucks on drawing his own customers in.
We met my son and his wife, who is a very picky eater – my daughter-in-law that is, not my son. We both could eat nails if they were prepared well, with enough butter. I had concerns that my daughter-in-law would be unhappy with the food. But thankfully, their relationship was new enough that she still wanted to impress me and was a very enthusiastic diner. We found the door and went in to be seated - in the sun, in the heat, at the world renowned restaurant!
I am never happy if the wait people are snooty. I just asked our waiter if he was a nice waiter or a snooty waiter. He assured us that he was nice, and I told him that we would be the kind of nice customers that are only dreamed of. So the tasting menu begins and, I must admit it was lovely and very much enjoyed by all of us. I would have liked to have had more wine, however, I had a long drive home. Something I could do 25 years ago, but not now.
Before parting, my daughter-in-law and I made a trip to the ladies’ room, which was outside, down a gravel path with the door locked – it could only be occupied by one party and it was. So we waited outside and heard the occupant, a poor woman struggling with a severe stomach upset – this isn’t the best press for a restaurant! In all fairness, I’m sure it was too much wine and not the quality of the food.
We said our goodbyes, happy to have had the experience and convinced we wouldn’t be back. And I girded my loins for the drive home, the route being through Oakland where in 1998, the 680 and 880 interchange was a work in progress. I would compare that part of the drive with driving inside a pinball machine.
In conclusion, you can keep your cuisine that features foam, I’ll take my foam on a cold Corona, sitting in in the sun on a summer’s day, enjoying chips and salsa. Even better with a good friend!
On the sports’ front:
So Vitello stays with the Giants?!
Comments
Post a Comment